Basic Leak Tips
Water Conservation Tips
Are you a sewer customer?
Did you know….
- Chemicals that claim to dissolve grease may not actually be effective? Grease can build up in sewer, which can restrict the flow of wastewater from our homes. This blockage can force wastewater into the streets and yards which can then enter the river.
- Clogged sewer repair bills on average cost $500 (Statistic found using general searches).
- Garbage disposals use larger amounts of water, by scraping food off dishes into a trash container directly you can reduce your water consumption, in turn in turn can lower your water and sewer costs.
- Use a strainer in sinks, showers, tubs then dispose of materials in trash.
- Place all liquid fats, grease, and oil into a can or jar with a lid and place in trash.
- Put all food waste and discards in a trash container. *bonus tip: many foods can be composted to be used in gardens.
- Limit the amount of milk products that go down a drain.
- Only toilet paper, human waste and water can go down the toilet.
- Use recommended amount of soap in laundry and dish washing.
- Don’t flush wipes (even if they say “FLUSHABLE”), diapers, rags or personal hygiene products.
- Don’t put egg shells or coffee grounds in the garbage disposal, sink drain or toilet.
- Don’t discard coffee grounds or eggshells down the sink.
- Don’t put motor oil, lard or cooking oil down the drain. These items should be disposed of in the garbage.
- Don’t flush kitty litter.
- Don’t flush medicines down the toilet or garbage disposal (unless label instructs you to do so). Search for tips on how to properly dispose of these unused medicines.
Never dispose of the following down your sinks or toliets:
- Nail Polish
- Oven Cleaners
- Paint Varnish/Stripper/Thinners
- Spot Remover
- Vehicle fuel/Oil/Grease
- Weed killer
- Battery Fluids
Septic System Tips
Septic System Tips under construction
- Dispose of waste appropriately, your drains are not a trash can.
- Keep your septic tank cover accessible for inspections and pumping.
- Get rid of grease/oil/animal fat with regular garbage